Fork me on GitHub

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

What you missed out on .. #AndroidCamp2016



I was in London last week for Google Android Camp which ran from 1st to 5th August at the Google London office. Participants are invited based on merit.(I'm not sure how much merit I have but I'm grateful I made it). During the camp we learnt to develop Android apps and in teams we developed apps over a 24 hour hackathon. I proposed an app idea and was assigned to team mates from Croatia, Israel and Poland. 



The curriculum
My team
       
In one week we went from beginner/novice to expert, thanks to Ran, our instructor. We learnt about UI, Design, Recycle View, Background Execution, Network Operation, Firebase , Animations... all the necessities you need to develop a functional app. The workshops were self paced which I really liked. Between the sessions we also had talks from Googlers such as Andrei Popescu, Android director and David Singleton, VP of Engineering. It was eye opening to hear from the team working on Android on where it headed.We also had a career panels where Googlers shared their journey to Google and an interview workshop which was really helpful.

The hackathon
From Thursday afternoon to Friday afternoon we had a 24 hour hackathon where we developed apps from our suggested ideas. Unfortunately I was sick with headache and fever hence I couldn't stay up all night. But we were a strong team and we managed to create a functional proof of concept. 
That face after the hackathon



The perks
Just like in the movie, Google really spoils its employees and in this case guests. First off, they welcomed us with Nexus tablets to keep (that's right). As if that's not enough they gave us the 6th  edition of the book Cracking the Coding Interview. 

 Of course, they showered us with swag and fancy food from different places.
Dinner
Android Umbrella

 This is all on top of an all expenses paid trip , Thanks Google!

Google office

If you are interested in my London adventures go here. Have a great week ahead! 

No comments:

Post a Comment